Saturday, January 9, 2010

Decisions, decisions

Last year I became tired of looking at the same messy house, trying to clean up the same things over and over, trying to oil paint (not well), watching tv news, knitting, crocheting, all the things that old people are supposed to do. When my son called me from Richmond, Va. and told me he and his wife were moving to Iowa, I decided to do something I'd had a hankering for since high school history days. I wanted to tour Civil War battlefields and more.

Against all advice from friends and family, I decided to drive cross country and sight see to Virginia. After all I had a brand new Kia that had 3 rows of seating, two of which I could fold down to create room for luggage and any fun stuff I picked up on my journey.

When my sister learned of my plans, she immediately called and begged me to fly to Va and rent a car. That would defeat the whole purpose of my journey. I wanted to see these beautiful United States as close up as possible. My kids (4 of them) were all worried that I would either get killed in a flaming car crash, forget who I was (I do have a severe short term memory loss), or just plain get lost. I reassured them that if I did die in a flaming crash, that it was the only way they would become rich; I was carrying lots of ID; and by the way if I got lost I had a talent quickly vanishing from the current generation - I could read a map! If my map reading skills suddenly vanished, I reminded them that since I wasn't a man, I could stop and ask for directions.

Next edition: I choose routes and wardrobe.


2 comments:

  1. Now wait just a minute. I seem to remeber getting you a GPS thingy and telling you to have fun and don't get lost!

    Lis

    ReplyDelete
  2. She always gave me the longest route and then had the adacity of telling me where to turn in feet. Everyone knows you need turning directions like when you get to the tell building with the vertically stripped canapys, turn left. Stupid machine antway.

    ReplyDelete