Wednesday, January 20, 2010

A Short Side Road.

Instead of watching Massachusetts election results tonight, I saw Avatar for the third time. Do I believe it is worthy of three screenings? Only if you are interested in beautiful, imaginative scenery and a very graceful, almost balletic performance by the lead actress. I went the first time to review it for my grandchild's possible attendance, the second time to see if it was better in 3D or on the regular screen, and finally took her to an Imax 3D screening. It was spectacular and she watched most of it but fell asleep prior to the last battle scene.

Now onto to my real subject. The election that took place tonight. I first must admit that I am a registered Republican but vote the ticket instead of the party. I must also admit that I did not vote for the current president. I think that he is a great orator, but he obscures his goals in all the oratory. He does not address questions directly but obfuscates them. I worked in the medical field for many years and do not agree with his politics or his approach to the insurance question and many other items on his agenda. I hold more of a Jeffersonian approach than that of Madison. I believe that the Federal Government has become far too expansive and is trampling on individual and state rights.

I believe that the fundamental duties of the Federal Government is protection of the people from foreign occupation, issuing of money, administering policy that allows people to move easily and freely about the country and abiding by the constitution. I believe the states are responsible for the well being of their residents and that the Federal Government should support them in that duty, and that tax revenues should be shared with the states. The founding fathers left a process whereby, if the constitution does not spell out a solution to a situation that leaves the country in jeopardy, it can be amended. This method is ultimately acted upon be the people in the ratification process. It is up to the people of the United States to accept or reject legislation that affects their lives.

All three branches of government today seem to think they are above the people. There is not much the people can do to control the Supreme Court, but they can control Congress and the President in the electoral process. By writing to your elected officials and expressing your concerns, it will allow them to know the mind of the people. If they do not respond to the mind of the people, the people have the right to reject them. This can be done in the electoral process. There is also a process by which elected officials can be recalled, but it is very difficult, so read, think and pray carefully about the ballots you cast. My husband, although very weak and nearing the end of his life, still insisted on making his wishes known in the voting booth. The people do have power when they choose to exert it, but if you don't vote, don't complain about what you get.

Now I have one more concern. It should be very easy to address all elected officials on the Internet, but I have not found it. If any of you know how, without jumping through all sorts of hoops, please let me know. I like the idea much better than snail mail which in New Mexico is quite unreliable.

Me

1 comment: